Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Peace be to all

Translations of common yoga prayers from Prasad:

Om Om Om
Asatho maa sath gamaya
Thamaso maa jyothir gamaya
Mruthyor maa amrutham gamaya.
Om Shanthi. Shanthi. Shanthi.


Om Om Om
Lead me from unreal to real (untruth to truth)
Lead me from darkness to light (ignorance to knowledge)
Lead me from death to immortality (temporary to the eternal)
Peace, peace, peace be to all.

Sarve janaha suhkino bhavantu
Sarve santu niraamaya ha,
Sarve bhadraani pashyaantu,
Ma kaschid dukha bhaak bhaved.


May all live happily
May all be healthy
May all look to the good of others (May welfare be unto all)
May none experience distress.

Yogena chitasya padena vacham
Malam sarirasya cha vaiyakena
Yopakarottam pravaram muninam
Patanjalim pranjaliranato´smi


Let us bow before the noblest of sages,
Patanjali, who gave yoga for serenity and sanctity of mind,
grammar for clarity and purity of speech,
and medicine for perfection of health.

BONUS YOGA TIP: The trick to Vrksasana (Tree Pose) is to push your foot really hard into your thigh. I don't know why this helps, but trust me it does. I normally can't hold Tree Pose for more than a few seconds; doing this I didn't teeter once. (Thanks to Prasad, again.)

No comments: