Friday, April 27, 2007

Feisty Fawn

I upgraded my laptop from Ubuntu edgy to feisty last night and I'm please to report (after a rather unpleasant experience upgrading from dapper to edgy, documented here, here, and here) that the whole thing went off without a hitch. The upgrade process asked a lot of annoying questions about whether or not it should clobber various config files, but I just said "Yes" to all of them and have seen no ill effects. It even gracefully downgraded my nVidia driver to the latest version in the Ubuntu repository and Suspend still works. Who knew that was possible?

Are there any great benefits to upgrading? Um... not that I can tell. The version of Liferea is more recent and there's a search button in the Panel. These are hardly blockbuster features. The main benefit to me is that "are you running feisty?" will not be the first and last response to every question I post to the support forums. (This will be replaced with "are you running gutsy?" within a month.*)

* Speaking of which: I am really fond of the names Breezy Badger, Dapper Drake*, Edgy Eft, and Feisty Fawn. But, Gutsy Gibbon? Yuck.

** Does anyone know the story behind the naming scheme? I.e., how Ubuntu went from Warty Warthog and Hoary Hedgehog to the current Sue Grafton-esque release-naming convention? And why they skipped A and C?

No comments: