Thursday, November 09, 2006

Bad Eating in Italy

This is strange and a bit sad: NYU Florence students complain about bad food. I studied at NYU in Florence in 1998 and it was probably the culinary high point of my life so far. Of course, I didn't live "on campus" and I don't even recall there being a "dining hall"---we shopped at the grocery store in the neighborhood, which had good, fresh bread and good, cheap wine. It's unclear if these kids are getting a sub-standard product or if they're just little whiny carb-counters---either way I feel sorry for them...

Kids, leave the villa, walk 50 meters up the hill and go into the grocery. Tell the guy you want mozzarella e pomodoro on foccaccia. (He'll probably correct your pronunciation.) Doesn't cost more than a few bucks and I'm still craving it to this day.

Also, kids, don't be stupid: Pane e Olio is ten minutes away, Cibreo makes the best polenta and pappa in the world, and there are about ten thousand other great places whose names I forget. Go forth and get fat on good food.

No comments: